At last, the new layout is ready and deployed. Codename “Dorset2” was completed some days ago but I spent additional time figuring out ways to make a few parts work with Internet Explorer 5.5 and 6. Yes, I know those browsers are obsolete, but IE 6 is the last version that can be installed on Windows NT 4.0, Windows 98 and later (wikipedia) — yes, I know nobody should use anything older than Windows XP for Internet browsing nowadays, hush.
I also had to work around a couple of bugs in Mozilla Firefox 3.5, of all things. Webkit and KHTML-based browsers (Google Chrome understands some KHTML extensions for some odd reason) also displayed some quirks of their own.
Here's a few of screenshots that should display the overall differences between Dorset and Dorset2 (big files ahead!):
Naturally, this site is no longer very compatible with IE 5, 6 and 7 because it's using some CSS 2.1 characteristics that are not implemented correctly or at all by those versions. IE 8 works like a charm except for a minor problem with the
<pre> element height rules — which I could fix with a small work-around if I cared enough — but there are also some CSS 3 techniques and/or vendor-specific extensions in use for round borders and text shadows. Nonetheless. I made sure that the site's functionality would not differ between IE 5, 6 and 7, so even if the appearance differs, nothing should work incorrectly.
VirtualBox was very helpful when testing all this stuff. It'd been very hard to run Debian lenny and squeeze at the same time otherwise!
Opera 10.00 showed problems handling multiple children elements with transparent background images. That's a real pity and I hope that newer versions don't have this problem.
The bottom-left corner is not round. There's a good reason for this, and I hope to fix it in the next iteration, some day. For now, Dorset2 is here to brighten and soften your day!